Truth and Integrity

It was after bedtime and my 9-year old son rushed me a stack of papers and thrust a pen into my hand, asking for my signature – a signoff on his weekly reading log. Clearly he’d just filled-in several days of “reading” and was requesting my confirmation of his work. The problem was he’d claimed daily reading time through 10/3. It was 10/2. I asked him to reconsider his report, explaining that it was far more important to me that we tell the truth; that we are men who try our very best to develop and live with integrity – to celebrate our strengths and to own our shortcomings. Oh, and I reminded him that because of his after school soccer practice, dinner and bedtime routine, there was no way he’d read the day before and he couldn’t possibly have already read tomorrow.

After considering my proposition, he reclaimed the reading log and recorded zeroes for the previous three days. With eyes directed to the floor my boy explained that consequently he’d have to attend study hall the next day instead of going to recess. There, he would face the music and get caught up.

My heart swelled with pride for this young man. He chose integrity. He chose to trust me with the truth. I told Hunter that by deciding to correct his path he has set a precedent whereby I can stand by him when he counts on me to back him up, even when no other hard evidence is available.

It occurred to me that I have the same choices as he did. And, I have the opportunity and obligation to show him that honesty matters to me through my own admission to failure – not just when it’s easy. The teacher has become the student again. What a privilege it is to be challenged, man-to-man, iron sharpening iron.

Mr. President, you too can learn something from my son, Hunter.

Challenge: Make the most of your next misstep by sharing with your child how you erred and what you’ll do to make things right.

No comments:

Post a Comment