My engine runs like most red-blooded, testosterone charged men. By God’s design, we are driven by a natural attraction to the opposite sex. And, we are biologically and emotionally compelled by sensual and sexual content. For those reasons, there is no denying that sex sells.
But why are we allowing strangers to sell sex to our kids?
Natural sexual appetite is being exploited and abused like never before by the media and marketing industries, and our children are increasingly becoming the victims.
As a desensitized culture, every day we are accepting a depraved and anti-biblical paradigm of human sexuality and a not-so-subtle assault on the definition of marriage and family - not to mention propagandistic views that promote and celebrate a “new normal” - even when the vast majority of our nation’s citizens neither agree or nor embrace lascivious lifestyles and the proclaimed falsehoods.
Fathers, I ask you: Are we burned out, clueless, or just plain naïve about what is happening under our watch?
Take for example this small sampling of recent atrocities that range from highly inappropriate to downright homosexual propaganda:
• Radio ads for the fast food chain Jack in the Box play verbal ping pong with double entendre, the spokesperson, “Jack,” describing a super-sized food item while the counterpart character instead references engorged male genitalia – a blatant referral even my 11-year old son caught. No better are Carl's Jr. ads that objectify women and feature hyper-sexual situations... to sell burgers.
• In a television commercial promoting Ragu spaghetti sauce, a pre-teen boy comes home from school early to walk-in on his Mom engaged in “afternoon delight,” (with whom we do not know, presumably Dad would be at work,), traumatizing the young lad. The solution? Feed him spaghetti because “his day has been rough enough.”
• Airing at 7PM, a prime time courtroom drama television program featured two attractive female attorneys who can’t resist the need to “make out” back in the judge’s chambers between legal cases, a gratuitous scene that was absolutely non-relevant to the story.
• The national big-box retailer Target recently featured a periodical advertisement picturing two gay men intimately holding hands while gazing into each other’s eyes, stating that Target was the home of “their” wedding and (dare I say bridal) registry.
• And don’t even get me started on NBC’s new sitcom, The New Normal, described on the network’s website as, “Two gay dads and a baby mama create a totally new kind of family comedy.” This entertainment vomit attempts to push off what should be viewed for what it is –a social collapse- as funny.
We are accepting this decimation of family values and dilution of righteous sexuality by not refusing it and objecting as relentlessly and loudly as others are thrusting this garbage upon our innocent children.
I’m telling you, parents. Satan is on a tear, using our biological drives and the downward spiral of our culture’s moral conviction to devour our children’s innocence, to confuse them about sexuality, and to erode the wholesome lessons and biblical worldview taught at home.
If you agree with me I hope you’ll also opt-out of supporting any organization that is directly peddling filth and therefore hurting our kids. Personally,
• I will not watch TV programs that bait-and-switch content and cave to a perceived demand for lust-driven scenes.
• I will not eat at Jack in the Box or Carl’s Jr.
• I will not buy Ragu spaghetti sauce.
• I will not set foot into a Target store or buy online from them.
• I will monitor the TV programs that my sons watch in our home and disallow those that set out to poison their minds.
What are you seeing and hearing? What do you cringe at when knowing your children are also being exposed? What will you do… or NOT do?
Finally, Rebecca Hagelin recently wrote an article worth reading, citing a study that shows teens imitate the risky sex of films and TV. Check out: Culture challenge of the week: Movies “selling” sex to children. Rebecca Hagelin is the author of 30 Ways in 30 Days to Save Your Family. To find her book and reach her directly, visit HowToSaveYourFamily.com.
• You can register your dissatisfaction with organizations and media campaigns with the National Consumer Complaint Forum.
• File a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission in Washington, DC: Obscene, Profane, and/or Indecent Material Complaint Form
• Has the media already trapped your kid in a seductive web? What to Do if My Child is Looking at Porn: 5 Critical Steps.