Getting on the Field













I wish I had all the answers.

Maybe you’re like me, some days wearing regret for my shortcomings and failures as a father like a trenchcoat while jogging on the sun, and other days feeling I own the sun and it’s brilliance when I get something right. The truth is, no matter whom you are, being a father is a challenge.

Regardless of where on the Dad spectrum between hero and chump that you really are, being a great father requires work. Good role models, bad role models, NO role models… everything changes and we all start at square one when the Lord blesses us with child.

I am the father of three terrific sons. Loud, beautiful, smelly, caring, brutal, clever, raging and loving young men. At 8, 11, and 19 years of age they stretch my imagination and my patience in every way possible. Without knowing it (most of the time) they challenge me each day to be a better steward of this gift, this opportunity. I’ll tell you what though – I’m in. I’m going to continue to take the field for this gladiatorial battle. With the victories and defeats, with the scars and triumphs I will get better and I will not quit. Because they are worth it.

Perhaps I don’t really wish I had all the answers to conquering the fatherhood challenge. After all, what then would I learn? How then could I grow towards the man God would have me be?

Maybe you have some of the answers? I’m hoping so. Whether you are a father today, a grandfather, a mentor or just someone with heart and wisdom about family life, my wish is that we can learn from each other by sharing some of the day-to-day fatherhood challenges. There are stories, oh so many stories. Fathers, suit up. I challenge you to join me. It’s GO time.

3 comments:

  1. I love the title of your blog! As a dad of daughters I am especially eager to hear your perspective on raising sons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the "Getting on the Field" piece, Michael. I was struck by your graphic and gladiator reference, because several years ago God blessed me with a picture that has been a great source of encouragement to me and many other Christian men. The picture He gave me was of a single man, struggling wildly under a huge net that had been thrown over him in the center of the arena. Now comes the good part: circled around him, armed to defend, was a small "army" of men ... Christian brothers prepared to give their lives to defend their brother. Men who closed tight around their brother with a message: "Don't fear. Don't thrash around wildly in your predicament. Take your time. We will be here when you are free." Another important "sidebar" to this vision: each of the men in this scene WILL find himself at the center of the ring at some time(s) in his life. God is the ultimate Provider and Protector, capable of supernatural intervention at any time, but He will use us as His soldiers. I pray that each of us is willing ... and armed with the Word ... when we are called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that Steve. Standing shoulder-to-shoulder in our battles is an opportunity the Lord has orchestrated. Your picture gives me great encouragement, as I hope it does all our readers. Your iron has sharpened mine.

      Delete